HOME 정읍첨단방사선연구소(영문)>R&D Facilities>Irradiation Facility
- The facility has two gamma-ray irradiators. One is high-intensity gamma-ray irradiator and the other is low-intensity gamma-ray irradiator.
- Cobalt-60 sources are contained in doubly encapsulated stainless steel capsules. Cobalt-60 source produces two gamma-rays with the energy level of both 1.17 MeV and 1.33 MeV.
- The licensed maximum activity for the high-intensity gamma-ray irradiator is 470,000 Ci and that of the low-intensity gamma-ray irradiator is 3,000 Ci.
- Gamma-ray irradiator can be used in developing advanced functional material, sterilization, sludge treatment, food processing, radiation mutation breeding, cosmic-ray related technology, etc.
- Electron accelerator generates electron beam composed of accelerated electrons and has very high energy levels from several hundreds of keV to several tens of MeV in a high-vacuum condition.
- Two types of the electron accelerator have been operating: one is high-energy electron accelerator (10 MeV) and the other is low-energy electron accelerator (0.2 MeV).
- Compared with the gamma-ray processing, though the penetration depth is relatively shallow, the processing time is considerably short.
- Electron accelerator can be applicable to advanced functional material development, sterilization, sludge treatment, food processing, etc.
Gas Ion Implanter
- Gas ion implanter (or low-energy ion accelerator) accelerates gas ions such as proton, helium ion, nitrogen ion, argon ion, xenon ion, etc.
- Its maximum energy level and beam current is 300 keV and 5 mA (in the case of nitrogen ion (N1+/N2+)), respectively.
- Owing to its very shallow penetration depth, this apparatus is usually utilized in modifying the surface characteristics of the target material.