Radiation Biotechnology is a technology that can be applicable to the fields of biological industry based on the fundamental information on the radiational responses of living organisms (e.g., animals, plants, microbes, and their molecular components and secondary metabolites).
Research objectives and contents
We perform a wide array of projects including
- radio-multiomics for establishing the platform of the radiation response of living organisms (Radiation Reaction Map),
- generation of novel compounds by radiation transformation technology (Radiation Transformation Technology),
- elucidation of the mechanisms of radiation-resistance in living organisms,
- radiation bio-dosimetry, and
- development of novel bio-molecules for pharmaceutical purposes and immunity-enhancing natural composition for the elderly and cancer patients (e.g., HemoHIM).
Based on a radiation sterilization technology, we are developing a technology for the preservation of cultural heritages and the national quarantine protocols for importing and exporting agricultural commodities. Further, we are continuously expanding the spectrum of the radiation technology to secure health issues and disease prevention (i.e., inactivated bacterial vaccines).
- Elucidation of radiation resistance mechanisms and radiation response network in organisms
- Development of animal vaccines using radiation fusion technology
- Development of functional biomaterials using radiation-mediated structural transformation technology
- Screening radiation microbiome and its application
- Radiation technology for phytosanitary system and the preservation of cultural heritages
- Establishment of standard operation procedures (SOP) using radiation technology
- Establishment on radiation Big-data (Radiation Reaction Map) and its application
- Development of HemoHIM, a herbal complex for enhancing immune system (Acquisition for health food as raw materials from KMFDS)
- Commercialization through the KAERI Spin-Off companies (Kolma BNH Co. Ltd., Seoul Propolis Co. Ltd.)
- Elucidation on the mechanisms of radiation resistance in various radiation-resistant microbes
- Provision of import-export food quarantine by the Quarantine Inspection Agency and standard operating procedures